My single agenda is to serve the people of Telluride by protecting the social, economic and environmental future of our hometown. Below are my personal actions and beliefs related to specific critical issues the town is now facing and will be facing for years to come.
Over the past four years Telluride has seen a blend of high-stake decisions, substantial stability and major public policy undertakings from your Council, leaving a remarkable legacy of accomplishments. I have been actively involved in each and every issue during this period. We are presently facing enormous hurdles as we finally secure the Valley Floor and put the final pieces of our land use plan in place on the west end. We cannot afford a single misstep in these sensitive arenas. We need a Mayor who has worked through the issues and will be able to seamlessly move towards positive solutions instead of going through a prolonged learning curve. The Mayor’s job is not a part-time or short-term position. I intend to serve the complete four years, working full-time on each and every issue facing us, as I have done for the past six years.
I have participated in the following public process:
• Voted to declare condemnation.
• Voted in favor of every issue related to the acquisition.
• Spoke against the “Telluride Amendment” in Denver in front of the Colorado Legislature.
• Wrote depositions in support of the action.
• One of only two council members who attended an intensive legal seminar in Denver on Eminent Domain.
• Negotiated a settlement ordered by the court and helped present it to the citizens.
• Attended the Delta Valuation Trial.
• Worked with our legal counsel closely for six years and will continue through the end of the process.
Affordable Housing was one of the main concerns I campaigned to work on when I ran for Town Council. Since then, it has become the number one priority for Council. My involvement is:
• Chair for the past four years for the Telluride Housing Authority, which oversees the building of affordable housing. We have built 48 town homes, rental units, homes and condominiums in the past three years. We have in the planning and construction phase, an additional 42 units that will be built by 2009.
• We have purchased land for housing and are continuing to search for more opportunities.
• Helped to revamp the Regional Housing Authority to insure it will work in a more focused fashion.
• Supported Green Building Standards and implemented them in all Affordable Housing construction.
• Supported Wetlands Regulations.
• Supported the Ecology Commission and Open Space Commission.
• Support sustainability efforts throughout our planning process.
• Supported building the roundabout at the entrance to town along with rebuilding 1.5 miles of the Spur.
• Planning Committee member for the new water treatment plant in the East End, which is scheduled to be built in 2008.
• Support and Chaired the Lift 7 Sub Area Master Plan meetings which includes a Medical Center, Recreation/Community Center, upgraded ski lift, Child Care, and much more.
• Supported the expansion/addition of the Intermediate School, the Palm Theatre, the Town Park Pavilion and the Skate Park. Support the addition of a new elementary school with additional playing and soccer fields.
• Board member of the Palm Theatre Advisory Committee, APEX (Drug & Alcohol Education), Positive Alternative Team, Child Care Task Force, San Miguel Community Task Force against Violence and the School Long Range Planning Committee.
• Organized the Regional Facility and Infrastructure Task Force to make sure that taxing districts and governments were not duplicating their efforts.
• Although not a true infrastructure issue, I also support Marketing Telluride, Inc.
Your elected officials need to continually focus on regional partnerships to solve regional challenges. Telluride is not well served by those who want to turn back the clock. Our tax-payers must not be continually asked to foot more than their share of the bill for regional services. It is only through collaboration and the collective decisions of the working partnerships that result from years of dialogue with our neighboring communities and the County that we will be able to significantly improve our shared quality of life in the years to come. I have worked hard to cultivate and nurture these necessary links to our future.
I have been told that I am a progressive individual with a voice of reason. Leadership is not about shouting orders the loudest, or being first to attack another’s ideas. My proven leadership style is based upon the ability to: listen, facilitate, not let ego enter into the discussion, answer questions honestly, realize that all ideas should be listened to, seek compromise and finally wrap up all discussions with viable solutions and an action agenda for the next step in the public process. I am always willing to challenge traditional structures and help make changes when necessary. I am extremely accessible as a public servant and have joined scores of community volunteers managing everything from Arts and Special Events to Community Services, Open Space, Tourism Marketing, Budgeting and Law Enforcement.
My goal is to be your Mayor and to fight for Telluride. We need a leader who can effectively manage the inevitable change in the coming years, not one who naively feels we can simply shut the doors and keep change out. The Master Planning of our community and its various sub areas deals with smart growth and putting in place the correct land use codes and much needed public facilities to transport Telluride into the future. I have participated in that Master Plan public process for six years. I believe in this public dialogue.
We need a proven and effective leader who understands our present situation in minute detail. The next four years are critical in keeping Telluride the best place on earth to live, work and raise a family. I ask for your vote and your support in the upcoming election.
Thank you and if you have questions please call me or e-mail at 970/728-0136 and firstname.lastname@example.org or visit my web site at www.stuformayor.com