Sentencing Brings Closure to Last Year’s Wrestling Tournament Incident
DENVER – A 15-year-old Norwood boy who pled guilty in October to involvement in a sexual assault on a 13-year-old student was sentenced Monday to ongoing probation, community service and nearly $3,000 in restitution.
Lynn Kimbrough, communications director for Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey, said Tuesday that the juvenile, who acted with two older juveniles in an incident at the State Wrestling Tournament, in Denver, avoided trial by pleading guilty to a misdemeanor count of sexual contact/no consent.
He was sentenced to ongoing probation, Kimbrough said, and 50 hours of community service. He must also participate in a victim empathy class and a “boundaries” group, and jointly pay $2,892.20 in restitution. The restitution, ordered by the judge, will go towards the Crime Victim Compensation program, and to help reimburse the victim’s family for out-of-pocket expenses.
The two other boys accused in the incident, ages 16 and 17, both pled guilty to third-degree misdemeanor assault in August, and were sentenced on those charges in September. Both got two years of probation, were ordered to complete 50 hours of community service, and must jointly pay the restitution total.
One of the two older boys was sentenced to participation in a restorative justice program and the other to participate in a victim empathy class and a “boundaries” group, and write a letter of apology. As part of the two older boys’ guilty pleas, the counts of kidnapping, sexual assault and false imprisonment were dismissed.
The three juveniles were arrested in April in Denver, following an investigation by the Denver Police Department. Initial charges alleged that on Feb. 16, 2012, the three juveniles unlawfully seized and carried the victim from one place to another and inflicted sexual intrusion for the purpose of abuse.